"Water is something basic. The supply should not have been disconnected over money and cheques," said Mohd Azam Meor, 55, a resident of the five-storey apartment in Jalan Cempaka 1.
He was among 70 residents whose supply was disconnected on Feb 14 when it was discovered that the developer had been stealing water from a Syabas main and piping it to the two-year-old apartment.
|Mohd Azam (gesturing) says that water shouldn't have been disconnected over money disputes while Iskandar (seated) says he is relieved.|
Supply was turned on again on Feb 25 after the developer forwarded a letter of undertaking dated Feb 20, promising to furnish a bank guarantee of RM1.9 million to Syabas by Feb 27.
The amount was to ensure the developer completed building infrastructure needed to supply water to the apartment within a year.
While relieved to have water, residents remain sore with Syabas for cutting supply in the first place as the action had affected children and senior citizens.
"What if the developer couldn't promise the bank guarantee? Would we still be without water?" asked the father of three.
Syabas officials, during a meeting with residents on Feb 20, said they had to stop water theft from recurring.
Initially, Syabas demanded the developer settle a RM185,000 bill for stealing water.
The company later issued a post-dated cheque for RM40,000 and also hammered out a deal to pay the arrears in four instalments.
But in an about-turn on Feb 23, Syabas slapped the developer with an additional demand for the RM1.9 million bank guarantee before water was reconnected.
Resident Iskandar Abu Hatan, 44, is relieved that the matter is finally resolved. "Imagine, for 12 days we had to carry heavy pails of water every two to three hours to flush our toilets, wash our dishes and bathe," he said.
The office administrator pointed out the matter was resolved due to the assistance of Cempaka assemblyperson Iskandar Samad, who had called for meetings between the developer, residents and Syabas - Selangor Times.